Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A little DRAMA

Almost a month ago, Calgary got some pretty white stuff that was perfect for making snowmen.....so I sent out the boys and Daddy to have fun!  I even captured the first half of their time in the snow.  Moe wasn't quite sure he liked the snow.....and was pretty cute watching Daddy and his brother.  Charlie loved it and enjoyed shoveling, throwing, and eating snow.  They were having a great time.

Well - I was folding laundry upstairs when I heard banging on the window.  No big deal, happens all the time with Charlie and Moe.  BUT - then the door opened and I heard Doug say, "Bella, come downstairs right now.  We had a major accident." 

I take off for downstairs, but realize I don't hear any crying......I get to the door and Doug says, "Charlie put a shovel in my eye", and he promptly leans against the wall of the house.  In those few seconds, I think about life without sight and how our lives could radically change.  Its amazing how quickly you snap into action while also thinking about the effects of a major injury.  Doug thought his eye was a gone - he almost fainted getting up to the house!!!

Long story short, his eye was basically swollen shut in the 30 seconds it took me to get downstairs, but thankfully, no blood.  We iced it immediately and called telehealth which advised us to go to the ER.  We literally live 2 minutes away from the hospital, but drove 15 minutes to an emergency clinic because the wait time was 2 hours shorter.  Doug was checked in, his eye frozen, and given a prescription to ward off any infection - all within an hour.  Pretty impressive.  The shovel did pierce the side of his eye, but thankfully there was no damage to his eyesight.  He even thought he would be able to go back up North for work....which he realized wouldn't happen once the freezing wore off :).  The pain/stinging sensation was pretty intense for those first few hours. 

His eyes were sensitive to light for a few days and he sported some sunglasses even though it was dark outside :).  BUT, within 4 days, his eye was completely back to normal.  I was shocked at how quickly it healed.  We had a couple chuckles about how we reacted, learned a good lesson about shovels, and were very thankful his eye wasn't damaged. 

Sorry the story is long, but this is definitely one I want to remember.....and now for the pictures to remember that day!!!





















No comments:

Post a Comment